Break Down & History
Coenzyme’s Q10 are substances that are found naturally in the human body. It was first discovered in 1957, and the Q10 refers to the chemical content of the substance. It often comes in two forms; the ubiquinol form, the main active antioxidant, and the ubiquinone, the oxidized form. Coenzymes support enzymes in their different biochemical functions, and they are also important in the metabolic chain reaction that generates energy within the cell. Coenzyme Q10 is found in every cell of the body, but it is found predominantly in the heart, liver, kidneys, and pancreas. It is one of the major dietary supplements being sold globally because of its important function in the body and because it is reduced in people living with some diseases like blood infection, heart failure, elevated blood pressure, gum disease, Parkinson disease, and certain disease of the muscle and also HIV infection. Coenzyme Q10 is also present in many foods we eat; they also act as an antioxidant that protects cells from damage and plays a crucial role in metabolism. Coenzyme Q10 can be used in the treatment of different medical conditions. Research has been done to know the importance of coenzyme Q10 supplements. Results have shown that this supplement can help reduce blood pressure slightly. It can also be used to treat heart failure and other heart conditions. Hence, it improves the symptoms and reduces the chance of cardiac arrest. It can also be used to prevent migraines, headaches, Parkinson’s disease, and many other medical conditions.
It is also an important vitamin substance needed to protect many organs’ functions and some chemical reactions in the body. It also provides energy to the cell. Coenzyme Q10 is a very strong antioxidant, and naturally, it can be found in some specific food like;
- Fish: fatty fish, trout, mackerel
- Diary: Egg yolks and pasture-Raised Butter
- Fruits: Grapefruits, strawberries, Apples
- Vegetables: Sweet potato, Cauliflower
- Nuts and Seeds: Walnuts, sesame seeds
- Oils: Extra virgin oil.
Health Benefits of Coenzyme Q10 Supplements
Various studies and research have been carried out to demonstrate coenzyme’s benefit when taken as a supplement. It is known that it plays a key role in oxygen utilization and energy production, especially in the heart and muscle cells. Other benefits include
- Treatment of coenzyme Q10 deficiency: The symptoms of coenzyme Q10 deficiency include weakness, fatigue, and seizure. Administration and intake of Coenzyme Q10 orally seem to improve the symptoms of coenzyme Q10 deficiency. It is a very rare condition.
- Reduce cardiac arrest due to heart problem: Administration and intake of coenzyme Q10 with selenium helps reduce the risk of developing a heart-related disease in elderly people.
- Alleviate diabetic neuropathy: Studies have shown that the intake of coenzyme Q10 improves nerve damage and nerve pain in people that have nerve damage that is caused by diabetes.
- Treatment of fibromyalgia: Research has shown that taking coenzyme Q10 orally helps to reduce pain, fatigue morning tenderness point in people with fibromyalgia.
- Migraine headache: Oral intake of coenzyme Q10 helps to prevent migraine headaches. It decreases the frequency of headaches and the number of days with a headache associated with nausea and vomiting in adults. More than half of the patients taking coenzyme Q10 to reduce the number of headaches they develop in a month. Also, it helps to reduce the incidence of migraines in children.
- Treatment of multiple sclerosis symptoms: Administration and intake of coenzyme Q10 orally has been discovered to help tiredness and low mood in people who have multiple sclerosis.
- Treatment of Peyronie’s disease: The administration and intake of coenzyme Q10 help improve or alleviate erectile dysfunction in men who have painful erections.
- Treatment of heart failure: Heart failure often occurs due to other disease conditions of the heart. It can occur as a result of coronary artery disease or elevated blood pressure. Heart failure can also occur when these problems affect the heart to the extent that it cannot regularly contract, relax, or pump blood into the systemic circulation. Administration of coenzyme Q10 can help treat heart failure by restoration of the optimal level of energy production, reduce oxidative damage, and improve heart function. All can be of aid in the treatment of heart failure. Coenzyme Q10 improves heart failure symptoms and reduces the risk of death from heart disease.
- Reduce infertility: Fertility in females decreases with age due to a decrease in the number of viable eggs that are available. Administration and intake of coenzyme Q10 help reverse this age-related decline in the quantity and numbers of viable eggs in women. Similarly, in men, supplementing with Coenzyme Q10 helps increase the concentration, quality, and motility of sperm by elevating antioxidant protection.
- Protect the skin: The skin is the largest organ in the body, and it is exposed to different damaging agents that can cause aging. These agents can be internal or external. The internal factors include cellular damage and hormonal imbalances. External factors include environmental agents, such as ultraviolet rays. Applying coenzyme Q10 directly to the skin helps reduce the damage from the internal and external agents by increasing the energy production in the skin cells and promoting antioxidant protection. However, people with a low level of coenzyme Q10 have a higher chance of developing skin cancer.
- Prevention of cancer: Research has shown that oxidative stress can cause cell damage and affect their function. If an individual’s body is unable to effectively fight oxidative damage, the structure can become damaged, thereby increasing cancer risk. The role of coenzyme Q10 in this condition is to protect cells from oxidative stress and promote the production of cellular energy, thereby promoting their health and increasing the chance of survival. However, a low level of Coenzyme Q10 supplement is associated with higher risk of cancer and indicates poor prognosis for various types of cancer. The administration of coenzyme Q10 helps reduce the chance of developing cancer and recurrence of cancer.
- Protect the Lungs: Of all the organs in the body, the lungs have the most contact with oxygen, making them susceptible to oxidative damage. Disease such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease occurs due to an elevated level of oxidative damage in the lungs and poor antioxidant protection. Administration of coenzyme Q10 supplement and the intake show a reduction in inflammation level in individuals who have developed asthma and COPD.
- Fight Gingivitis and bleeding gums: One of the most significant health benefits of coenzyme Q10 is its positive impact on gum disease. Studies have shown that coenzyme Q10 supplement can be used in the treatment of periodontal disease topically. Gum disease is a severe problem that can lead to widespread health issues if not treated or managed properly.
- Neuroprotective function: Low level of coenzyme Q10 Is associated with many health conditions, including diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease. Study has shown that the Neuroprotective function of coenzyme Q10 supplement is enhanced by aiding ATP synthesis and related mitochondrial functions. Administration and intake of coenzyme Q10 supplements help to reduce this incidence.
- Production of energy: Conversion of energy from one form to another in our body is something most people don’t see as important. Whereas it is very crucial to our health. The mitochondrial, which is the powerhouse of the cell, convert food and oxygen into energy in the form of ATP. Coenzyme Q10 is a mainstay in mitochondria support because the coenzyme Q10 carries the electron needed by mitochondria to make the complex chain of the energy work. Hence, the production of energy and Coenzyme Q10 are intricately connected.
- Enhance physical performance: Coenzyme Q10 is very common among athletes because it enhances energy production. It also improves physical performance and could also be helpful in patients who have developed muscular dystrophy.
Side Effect of Coenzyme Q10 Supplement
Studies have shown that the side effect of coenzyme Q10 is associated with the intake of coenzyme Q10 dosage that ranges from 30mg to as high as 1200mg per day. Some of the side effects include epigastric discomfort, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, and insomnia in humans.
It can also cause allergic skin rashes in some people and reduce blood pressure in some individuals when taking with statins. Therefore, patients taking coenzyme Q10 should check their blood pressure regularly.
How to pick a Coenzyme Q10 Supplement
If you want or wish to take coenzyme Q10 as a supplement, there are numerous factors you will have to consider. Picking the right supplement could be complex; hence, some guidelines have been put in place to ensure you get the right supplements (coenzyme Q10), and they include:
- Dosage and form: Firstly, you need to know if the supplement is in the most bioavailable form for your condition, and also, you need to confirm if the dosage is correct. Check the label and see if the dose is compatible with what you and your health care provider agreed on. The dose for adults ranges from between 30mg and 200mg in certain conditions. But you must pay utmost attention and work with a skilled health care provider, preferably a specialist, to pick the perfect form and dosage for you.
- Storage and expiration date: Your supplements must be stored appropriately. It can be refrigerated, and you need to keep it out of the sun. Not all coenzyme Q10 needs to be refrigerated or prevent contact with the sun. The details vary depending on the supplement made, so it is very important that you read the label in the supplement and follow the instructions to ensure that you are getting the best out of the supplement. Also, you need to check the expiration date of the supplement.
- Extra ingredients: Almost all supplement bottles have a section that talks about extra ingredients. It is essential to read the ingredients on the list in this section because some unwanted characters can be in your supplement if you don’t know what to look for. A perfect supplement won’t contain chemicals, artificial colors, sweeteners.
- Third-party certifications: A third-party certification simply means when a company, firm, or organization has an independent organization that regulates or monitors the quality of the product they produced. These certifications are very expensive. Hence, smaller or developing supplements might not have them.
- Company’s best practice: Another important factor to consider when picking a supplement is to check for the company’s transparency regarding how they label, produce, and test their products. If they are transparent, it gives you the confidence that you are getting the right supplement from a reliable company.
Recommendation of Coenzyme Q10 Supplement
Coenzyme Q10 is one of the most popular supplements for mitochondrial health and also the number one supplement recommended by cardiologists to every patient. Anyone using statin drugs, e.g., lovastatin to reduce the cholesterol level, must take coenzyme Q10 supplements to protect their health, especially the heart’s health, because statin diminishes the level of coenzyme Q10 in the body. Also, Coenzyme Q10 enhances the conversion of energy substrates and oxygen into biological energy and is critical for mitochondrial. Also, coenzyme Q10 is highly recommended because it helps protect the mitochondrial membranes from oxidative damage. Recent studies on animals reveal that coenzyme Q10 has a Neuroprotective benefit that helps improve the chances of a faster recovery in case of traumatic brain injury.
Summary and Review
The importance of regular intake of coenzyme Q10 to us as individuals and society cannot be overemphasized. One can spend the entire day thinking about why we have to add this supplement to our diet. Several and different diseases are now in our society because these supplements are not adequately consumed, and most times, they are missing in our diet. Diseases like diabetes mellitus, heart diseases, Parkinson’s disease, and some other diseases occur due to inadequate consumption of this supplement. With regular intake of this supplement, all these diseases can be reduced in our society. Therefore, it’s mandatory and important that regular intake and adequate coenzyme Q101 should be encouraged in all institutions, religious, educational, and commercial.